Pages

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Henry Thomas the Kindergartner

As I put Henry to bed on the eve of Kindergarten I felt pretty good.  As he flipped through the pages of his new book before we read I admired my sweet boy and asked playfully, "How can you be going to Kindergarten tomorrow?" and just like Henry Thomas he replied

"I guess the years just go by so fast."  


We both burst into laughter that took a real effort to come out of.  The fun I have with this boy is unmeasurable.

I could easily talk about how I really don't know how it's time to send him off to school, how I can't believe my first born, my baby boy is big enough to go to Kindergarten......but I won't.
We got to this milestone through F I V E and a half years of being blessed with him.  We watched his every breath, crawl and step with amazement and love, we watched his serious nature find his goofy side.  We saw his love and excitement for life grow from one new activity to the next; every sport he was exposed to he wanted to play, and yet he was drawn to music and drama as well.  At 2.5 years old he sat through his first live play and became obsessed with the music and story of Annie so much  that he requested to hear the soundtrack for months to come.  We've watched hours of concerts he has performed in our living room or basement; guitar, drums, vocals, maraca, trumpet, harmonica you name it he's played it.  We were blessed with 4 years of Bible study together, learning about God's truth's and having conversations sparked that both challenged and pleased me.  He is as Henry Thomas as they come.

Last year's preschool experience was hard on him emotionally at the beginning; but after almost three months of morning tears and peeling him off of us eventually ended in a year of growth.  He became excited to see his friends, loved his teachers, and grew a love for art and academics.

The decision to enroll him in half day Kindergarten was one we have felt best fits his needs. He's a homebody at heart and if I can keep him with me just a little bit longer that's exactly what I want to do.
The truth is the years really do go by so so fast, and no matter how much we try to soak up every moment with our children the days roll on.  I've never really agreed with the saying the days are long but the years are short.  I tuck kiddos to bed every night wishing we had been given just a little bit more time in our day.  Yes there are many moments in raising them where I'm exhausted, frustrated or just need a break from recorrecting little ones behaviors or seeing what the 189th call for mommy is for, but I can't imagine it another way.  The days have always seemed to fly by so quickly, that I look at the clock constantly asking myself "how is it 11am, 2pm, 7pm?"  There are always life's tasks to take care of while trying to simultaneously raise children, which leaves me wishing I could do more in a day.


I thought I was prepared for today, but the truth is it's a milestone that does make a momma emotional.  No matter what way I look at it, Kindergarten means he's growing up.  I'm going to try and make my tears more thankful than anything else.  Thankful for what we've had and for what is to come.

P.S. It's a wonder I didn't show circuit my computer with the amount of tears that have flooded my
keyboard writing this.

So how did the day go..........?  The morning was an answer to prayer!  Not one tear from any of us (well maybe a little wet eye from a parent) and a boy who announced he was so excited as we made the drive to school.  He had a grin on his face that couldn't be wiped off as he walked down the hall and I think it was such a blessing to be in a familiar building.

Hugs, smiles, waves, and goodbye.  Just like that he was on his way to big things.  

Mallie Lynn missed her Henry and thought she heard him half way through the morning.  She had to be convinced he wasn't somewhere in the house and practically skipped to the car to go pick him up at the lovely 11:15 dismissal!  We kept busy while waiting for him and continued my mama's tradition of homemade chocolate chip cookies for a first day of school treat!

 We did it!  One day of Kindergarten down and we're feeling alright!!!!!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS